Call 1-800-479-6151 to speak with a benefits specialist
What if I lost food due to a disaster, power outage or fridge/freezer failure?
You may be eligible to have benefit money restored to replace lost food.*
You may receive 3SquaresVT Replacement Benefits if:
- You currently receive 3SquaresVT and lost food purchased with your benefit.
- You lost food due to ahouseholdmisfortune, including:
- flood or fire
- loss of electricity (approximately 4 hours of more)
- equipment (refrigerator or freezer) failure
- If you are a renter, you should first request a reimbursement from your landlord. If your landlord does not quickly respond, request replacements benefits from the Department for Children and Familis by following the directions below.
- other disaster
To receive 3SquaresVT Replacement Benefits you must:
- Report the loss of food within 10 days of the disaster or misfortune either orally (by phone or in person) or in writing.
- Call the Benefits Service Center: 1-800-479-6151
- Visit or mail a report to your local district office.
- ANDReturn a signed and completed “Attestation of Loss and Request for Replacement of 3SquaresVT Benefits" form that you will receive when you report the loss within 10 days of the date of the reported loss to the localdistrict office - either by mail or in person.
- The Attestation must be signed by a witness
You will need to provide the following information:
- Name and social security number of the head of household.
- Town and county of residence.
- The specific way that food was lost, i.e. power outage of more than four hours, refrigerator/freezer failure, flooding, fire, etc.
- The dollar value of food loss.*
*You will never receive more than one months' 3SquaresVT benefits in replacement benefits, no matter the value of the food that was lost.