Afterschool Snacks: The National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) offers cash reimbursement to help schools serve snacks to children after their regular school day ends.
To participate, your program must:
- Be school sponsored. This does not mean that the program needs to be directly operated by the school or located on school grounds. It is up to each school to determine what afterschool programs are school sponsored.
- Offer educational or enrichment activities.
Meeting Nutrition Guidelines for Afterschool Snacks:
In order to be reimbursed, NSLP afterschool snacks must contain at least two of the following components:
- 1 serving of fluid milk
- 1serving of meat or meat alternate
- 1 serving of vegetable, fruit, or full-strength vegetable/fruit juice
- 1 serving of whole grain/enriched bread or cereal.